In the aftermath of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, outdoor store Dick’s Sporting Goods has implemented several pro-gun control policies, including raising the age limit to buy rifles, hiring pro-gun control lobbyists, and destroying their stock of “assault weapons.”
In the months since then, multiple gun manufacturers have severed business ties with the company and many gun owners have said they will no longer do business with them.
— Mossberg (@MossbergCorp) May 9, 2018
Now Dick’s executives admit the pro-gun control moves have hurt their sales in their firearms and hunting categories.
“As expected, our firearms policy changes impacted our hunt business which saw an accelerated decline in an already challenged category,” Lee Belitsky, Chief Financial Officer, said in their first quarter earnings conference call.
Chief Executive Officer Edward Stack said the decline in sales was expected and they will continue to go through the challenge for the rest of the year.
“And the hunt business we expect, based on our firearm policy, it’s going to continue to be challenged through the balance of the year,” he said.
Stack added how Dick’s may eventually stop doing firearm sales altogether, it depends on “how the business plays out, how the manufacturers decide that they want to do business together.”
The executives also addressed being expelled from the National Shooting Sports Foundation, saying they did not have much to do with them in the first place.
An NSSF spokesperson told the Washington Free Beacon they will not be commenting on Dick’s comments because they are no longer members.
Overall, Dick’s has reported an increase in sales for online purchases and their first-quarter revenue grew 4.6 percent.